The M-Bus Master Hat is an add-on board designed for the Raspberry Pi which controls the physical layer of an M-Bus. It can be used in conjunction with a Raspberry Pi and software such as libmbus to provide a cost effective solution to allow you to connect to and read M-Bus slaves, such as water, heat and electricity meters that implement the wired M-Bus protocol.
Here’s why you should choose the M-Bus Master Hat:
- No external power supply required – generates required voltage on-board
- Up to 3 Unit Loads (M-Bus slaves) supported*
- Supported by various open source packages, including libmbus, pyMeterBus, pyMbusHat and mbus-httpd
- We supply stand-offs with all Hats in order to securely and safely mount your hat to your Pi
- Raspberry Pi detects M-Bus Master Hat and auto-configures serial port**
- Fully compliant with Raspberry Pi Hat specification
- Present of M-Bus Master Hat can be detected via software**
- M-Bus power is switchable via software, using GPIOs
- GPIO pin controlling M-Bus power can be reconfigured***
- All Raspberry Pis with 40 pin header supported, from Pi 1 Model B+ (2014) onwards
- Pi Zero (+Pi Zero 2) size Hat available, giving smaller form factor installation
- Custom-designed form-factor cases available
- Full sized and Zero size variants available with on-board DS18B20 temperature sensor support
- All Hats undergo rigorous post-assembly checks and tests before shipping.
- Schematic available
- 100s of satisfied hobbyist and commercial customers
* Assumes a slave requires 1 UL
** Raspberry Pi OS/Raspbian required
*** Requires soldering
Buy the M-Bus Master Hat here.
To purchase please visit our shop.
Instructions on using the M-Bus Master Hat can be found here.
Features and More Details
See the datasheet for more details.
Full schematics are available for revisions:
To purchase please visit our shop.
- One M-Bus Master Hat.
- Standoffs and nuts for attaching the Hat to a Raspberry Pi with mounting holes.
- Shipping within the UK.
- A Raspberry Pi.
- Any M-Bus slave devices.
- Software, although full instructions are available here for getting libmbus running with the Raspberry Pi M-Bus Master Hat. There is also an open source M-Bus Master HTTP server for the Raspberry Pi compatible with the M-Bus Master Hat available.
The M-Bus Master Hat is based on an M-Bus Master design available as part of libmbus.
BSD 3-Clause License
Copyright (c) 2010-2012, Raditex Control AB All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.